Sunday 11 July 2010

The best laid plans...

Or “Mushrooms, mushrooms”…

Did I say that Saturday was going to be a rest day in preparation for setting off today into the vast unknown that is the Grand Union? Being a veteran of almost two months’ living aboard now, I really ought to know better than to make such rash predictions.

A gentle morning saunter into the village to get rid of my rubbish seemed harmless enough but then I had to spoil it by going shopping. First I found some (but not quite all) of the electrical bits I wanted. Then I found parts (but not the whole) of the mushroom vents I need. The rest of the day turned into a trek around, punctuated by innumerable breaks for drinks, in search of the bits I couldn’t get in the morning. I finally managed to get the electrical bits but now I have to wait until Thursday for the mushroom vent man to turn up. By the time I got home, it was just starting to get cool enough to start work on painting the roof. I’ve just had a look at it this morning, and it’s not very good, even by my standards. To be honest, I’ve had so little sleep since I got here I’m surprised I can do anything much.

So, no rest on Saturday, and I’m not moving until Thursday at the earliest. Still, as they say, the best laid plans of mice…

No comments:

Post a Comment