Thursday 5 August 2010

Let There Be Light

And there was light… just not such an awful lot of it.

I bought two of these solar powered garden lights from Homebase – a snip at a mere six quid each, reduced from twelve.



It’s not the most powerful light; with only 3 LEDs, I wouldn’t have expected much. But it works by charging two standard NiMH AA batteries, which means it’s much more useful as a solar battery charger. Since much of my battery use on the boat involves running an inverter to run battery chargers to provide power for the radio, camera, torches etc., it will be a useful addition if it can save me from having to go through all that palaver just to charge 1.2V batteries.

I’ve no idea yet how quickly the lights will charge the batteries but it shouldn’t be beyond the wit of man to cannibalise the lights to charge more than two at a time. If they can charge eight batteries over a couple of days, that will keep the radio and camera going, with more than enough power left over to use them as lights as well. I suspect that it will work fine during the summer; I’ll be well pleased if it can carry on working into the winter.

1 comment:

  1. Stop press:

    After two days of using these, they have both stopped working. It may have sounded like a good idea but the build quality is so atrocious that I can think of no reason on earth why anyone would want to waste their money on them. One of the lights is currently flashing on for a second or two every ten seconds or so; the other is completely dead. I don't know whether the connections to the LEDs have failed or whether the batteries are flat. Either way, they are a waste of money.

    Having said that, the idea is still ok in theory, so I might try to find something similar that is less poorly made.

    ReplyDelete