Friday 8 October 2010

Thank You!

I haven’t posted so much on the blog recently. Ever since I arrived back in London, a lot of the boaty fun stuff I wanted to get on with has been held up by a seemingly endless stream of comparatively minor interruptions.

One of these was that I discovered recently that none of my mail was being redirected as it should have been. It took about a week to find out that it had all been delivered to my old address and to collect it from the various people who had it.

Amongst the mail was a card from London Underground, telling me that something belonging to me had been handed in. I knew immediately that it must have been a wallet that went missing about a month ago. I’d cancelled the bank cards, library cards etc., but I was more concerned about losing my driving licence (I didn’t think there was any money in it, so that wasn’t really a worry).

When I went to collect it, though, I was told that it had £20 in it, plus €28, which I had completely forgotten about. If the person who found it had taken the money, or even just the sterling, I would have been none the wiser and would still have been relieved to have got it back. That they didn’t take the money was a really reassuring reminder of the honesty of random people. Whoever found it could very easily have taken the money, sold the driving licence or just thrown it way, but they didn’t. So, whoever you are, kind stranger, thank you very much!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that a heartwarming story of honesty and kindness! (Lucky i didn't get to it first ;-)
    Now it's getting chilly I'm fretting about your stove Tony. Have you got one fitted yet? (do I sound like a mum?!) Mine's come inexplicably adrift from the floor - just the front legs, which is strange - maybe the floor's sunk! I've finally got around to re-cementing around the base of the chimney before I snuff it from CO2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie,

    I was amazed how much important stuff I had in there. It would have taken ages and been really awkward to replace everything - although it was nice to get the money back, really that turned out to be the least important thing in it.

    I've had the stove fitted, so I'm managing to keep warm now. One day I'll post something here about that. It's not exactly the best bit of workmanship I've ever seen but at least it'll get me through the winter. In the meantime, I've got a carbon monoxide alarm next to it just in case.

    ReplyDelete